From: Rich Morin (no email)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 14:16:43 EST
At 12:48 PM -0500 2/1/07, Wietse Venema wrote:
> What you see is software that MIS-LABELS a perfectly
> normal Postfix activity record as an error.
I found the culprit (a locally-written script that wasn't
as well written as it should have been :-/). Sigh.
> ... lookupd is not part of Postfix.
Agreed. lookupd is part of Mac OS X. However, we are only
having problems with lookupd on the machine g3po and this
machine runs essentially nothing but postfix. Specifically,
it discards the 99% of our incoming email that is not for
So, my guess is that postfix is doing some sort of lookup
(lookupd handles various kinds) on a very frequent basis,
causing lookupd to use too much memory, etc.
I realize that this is an Apple-specific problem, but I'm
hoping that someone on this list might be able to help me
track it down. The lookupd(8) man page says:
The lookupd daemon acts as an information broker and
cache. It is called by various routines in the System
framework to find information about user accounts,
groups, printers, e-mail aliases and distribution lists,
computer names, Internet addresses, and several other
kinds of information.
Unfortunately, this covers quite a lot of territory. I
hope I don't have to go into the postfix source code to
find out what kinds of information requests it is making
that _might_ be handed off to lookupd!
P.S. I'm filing a bug report on this to Apple.
-- http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog +1 650-873-7841 Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development